Monday, January 12, 2009

crazy baby

This morning Zoe & I went to a Mom & Tot Yoga class at the ymca. It was the 1st time I have gone to the class. A new facility recently opened that is closer to our house than the one we have been going to the past few months. Now we only drive a couple of miles. It's a very fancy ymca, and very clean since everything is brand new. The nursery is huge and has plenty of room for kids like Zoe who Never Sit Still.
Anyway, there were 7 other moms in the yoga class. We kind of naturally divided up in the room so that the 3 of us with 12-ish month /year olds were on one side of the room and the moms with tiny babies were on the other. I knew that Zoe would be all over the place but I was hoping that the 2 other little girls her age would be doing the same. No such luck! If anything, it seemed like Zoe was kind of showing them how to pull on the jumpropes that were hanging up and how to push over the stairclimber things. She basically did laps around the room for the entire hour, playing with all of the other baby's toys, trying to talk to the other moms during their stretches. She would check in with me and look across the room to see that I was watching her, but otherwise she was totally exploring.
Luckily, other moms think that all babies are funny: during one long stretch where we were on our backs and couldn't really look around, Zoe squeezed around behind a woman on the other side of the room. She opened her purse, took out her wallet, opened her wallet and found her driver's license. Which she carried around the room until someone else said "she has your driver's license!" LUCKILY, it was funny.
It's true that Zoe LOVES taking everything out of my purse and then taking everything out of my wallet. So she's had lots of practice. Since there are toy purses for babies and books that are called "empty grandma's purse" or something like that, I know it's not just my kid. But it was a little awkward.
I really enjoyed the class otherwise, and nobody scowled at me when I was returning their toys and apologizing. So we'll probably try it again on Friday.
There's actually a lot more that happened [carseats as climbing toys, bottles, the instructor's scarf...], that's just the most memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment